The Friends of the Loxahatchee River is proud to announce its annual scholarship opportunity for two local high school students. Each scholarship is worth $1,000. This program is made possible by an award from the Van Pelt Foundation.
In order to qualify, students must be in their senior year and in good standing. Applicants should submit a 1000 word essay that communicates their service and understanding of the Loxahatchee River and water resources, as well as the benefits provided to the river through wastewater treatment and water recycling. Essays should include:
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Loxahatchee River and Watershed
- Student participation in service toward the protection of the Loxahatchee River (eg. volunteering with environmental organizations such as the River Center, in a cleanup event, or special project).
- A demonstrated understanding of water resources in the Loxahatchee River Watershed including the benefits to the river from wastewater treatment and water recycling.
The Loxahatchee River District was founded in 1971 with the mission to preserve the Loxahatchee River and its natural habitats by implementing innovative wastewater solutions, furthering river research efforts and fostering environmental stewardship. Wastewater treatment plants are imperative for public health, as well as the protection of our community's natural resources, such as the Loxahatchee River watershed. Recycling treated wastewater, a program started in 1983, was an important addition to the Loxahatchee River District services, and provides additional protection for the Loxahatchee River. Friends of the Loxahatchee River, Inc. was created as a means to further safeguard the Loxahatchee River. The mission of the Friends of the Loxahatchee River is to advance stewardship of the Loxahatchee River watershed through environmental education and public involvement. We believe by investing in the education of our local students, we are investing in the future of the Loxahatchee River.
Applications are due March 22, 2013Application Requirements:
- Applicant's Name, Address, Phone, and Email address
- 1000 word essay that includes the bulleted points above.
- 1 Teacher Recommendation (from an current teacher - preferably math or science)
- List of special projects or awards that relate to environmental science (if applicable)
- List of volunteer organizations & total hours completed at each organization (River Center/Loxahatchee River District volunteer hours beneficial)
Selected Recipients will be announced on June 7, 2013 at 12 Noon - Friends of the Loxahatchee River Meeting at the River Center
(Friends of the Loxahatchee Inc., is a 501(c)3 non profit corporation)